Saturday 8 August 2020

England Expects...

 

...every man to do his duty, as Nelson famously told his men, using some early messaging system involving flags,  at the re-openeing of pubs post-lockdown Battle of Trafalgar.  

Of course I’ve blogged this Hythe village centre pub before  and I have unashamedly stolen this cropped photo from the previous blog post on that other blogging site that I have now abandoned.  

However in one of my first post lockdown sorties to the local village (yes really) it seemed appropriate to look in at The Lord Nelson and see how the traditional, multi-roomed pub is fairing since the pubs re-openend.


Ok it seems...
First challenge to negotiate the narrow passageway past the two small front rooms, and the Poop Deck snug, to the large rear room without encountering anyone coming the other way.  Mission accomplished, I arrived in the rear bar, squirted the sanitiser (on my hands of course) and approached the heavily fortified well screened bar.  

It was difficult to see the cask ale pump clips past the screen so I asked the barmaid...

...Doom Bar or Ringwood Forty-niner - no brainer (not Doom beer).  Name and number provided for track and trace and contactless payment made,  all very organised.

There were at least a couple of dozen customers inside and out, but I opted for the lovely sunny afternoon in the promenade beer garden...

...where whispy clouds drifted by.... 


and a breeze whispered through the huge Eucalyptus tree.  Just nice...

Hanging baskets of brightly coloured flowers festooned one of the beer garden walls - (useless fact warning)  which is in fact the back of the Hythe Pier railway workshop...

...and I watched as the electric narrow gauge pier train departed the pier head for the incoming ferry as it has done since 1922. In this frightening world of changes, such constants are strangely reassuring.

Less reassuring for it’s owners was the cruise liner sitting unloved and unused in Southampton Docks - waiting for it’s elderly clientele to re-book their post lockdown cruises..

The Ringwood Forty-niner was good  and as a bonus my beer glass explained that another sort of beer called Doom Bar is named after a sandbank (where many cask ales have foundered).  Apparently this is in Cornwall, which is near Doom Bar’s home...well about as near as you can imagine a chemical plant brewery in Wolverhampton being anyway.  

I listened to the conversation from nearby tables which seemed to be in an East End or Essex dialect - suggesting that perhaps Hythe is the new Southend on Sea for stay-cationers from the south east.

I thought I might try another pub in the village, so I wandered past the Pier entrance to Ebenesers, which had closed at 2:30pm and would not be open until early evening...

...so I thought I’d try Hythe’s oldest pub...closed...opening at 4pm...

...giving up for the day on Hythe pubs' post lockdown opening hours, I walked the mile back to the Travellers Rest and had a pint of Abbott Ale (GK not Dartmoor).  It was OK for GK (average - good)...

...and the flamingo looked on unperturbed...

10 comments:

  1. You do know Doom B -ar used to be Doom B - yes till.the move to wolves? They say ar as a version of yes so that's the real.reasin behind the name change 😀
    Glorious looking place and hanging baskets usually a good sign....wispy clouds and the like....are you going all John Cooper Clarke on us ?
    Looks like s decent local although Abbott sounded just ok in Boozer 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ar - that would explain it BB - and also pointing to the possibility that Doom B was in fact short for Doom beer. It’s all falling into place now...

    Yes the Abbott was drinkable - but not worthy of greater audits :)

    JCC? - He's a hero he is - absolute top punk poet - here’s a bit from ‘I Mustn’t Go Down to the Sea Again’ which is of course about half of Birmingham turning up on Bournemouth beach post lockdown (possibly)...

    'Sunken yachtsmen
    Sinking yards
    Drunken Scotsmen
    Drinking hard
    Every lunatic and his friend
    I mustn’t go down to the sea again'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody auto spell check ‘audits’ should be ‘plaudits’.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that in the northern tones of JCC and classic stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know - I was doing the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "using some early messaging system involving flags"

    Way back before all of the flags became rainbow flavoured. ;)

    "and the Poop Deck snug"

    That evokes a disturbing image.

    "to the large rear room"

    Oh, come on! The rear room and the Poop Deck 'cheek to bum' so to speak? ;)

    "squirted the sanitiser (on my hands of course) "

    (slow golf clap) :)

    "Name and number provided for track and trace "

    I'm ok with giving them my name and number every so often. :)

    "...where whispy clouds drifted by.... "

    Are they still considered whispy when they take up more than 50% of the photo?

    "and a breeze whispered through the huge Eucalyptus tree. Just nice..."

    The breeze actually said 'just nice'? Blimey! Over here they merely whisper Louise.

    "In this frightening world of changes, such constants are strangely reassuring."

    Agreed!

    "Less reassuring for it’s owners "

    *cough* Simply to prove it's actually me... no apostrophe. :)
    (ditto for it's elderly further on in the sentence)

    "(where many cask ales have foundered)"

    Following in the tradition of Doom Bar itself. ;)

    "well about as near as you can imagine a chemical plant brewery in Wolverhampton being anyway. "

    We get that over here. "Glacier fresh" is the saying of one beer that began brewing in the Rockies; only now it's also brewed thousands of miles away - but still keeps the saying. :)

    "which had closed at 2:30pm and would not be open until early evening.."

    Argh. Don't get me started. My darling wife went on a delayed Father's Day pub crawl/walk with me back in June. Walked for over 30 minutes to the first pub, only to find it didn't open till 3pm, an hour away! (sigh)

    "opening at 4pm"

    Sigh... again.

    "...and the flamingo looked on unperturbed..."

    Very stoic considering his feet are under that slab of cement.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Russ! Lovely to hear from you and thank you for your excellent comments (inappropriate responses below ;)

      I read your comments on the pubmen blogs and sorry to hear you’ve been finding it tough with the catering business during the pandemic and things get back to normal as soon as possible.

      I can definitely assure you that the Poop Deck is not a deck nor does it have any...(well you get the idea ;)

      I don’t know “Louise" - but in the words of the famous PG Tips chimps - "you hum it son and I’ll play it” :)..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfkquXqhMdA

      I suspect that ‘glacier fresh' brew from the Rockies - is now also brewed by Molson Coors near Wolverhampton.

      I feel your pain with that Father's Day pub crisis...

      I wondered about that slab - probably to stop it flying away - though clipping the wings is the more conventional approach I believe.

      Mental note to self - now Russ is watching - check all your apostrophes :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks GH. :)

      We're doing ok with the lack of catering. It's starting to slowly come back (in the form of lunches for fishing trips and small dinners; fingers crossed). I honestly don't have a good reason for being so remiss in commenting. This Covid thing just got us into a "Groundhog Day" so to speak. Every day the bloody same; especially shopping for the lunch truck back in the early days! That took forever! But things are slowly getting back to normal; as evidenced by me now commenting. (LOL)

      Guffaw'd at the PG Tips clip. Here's the one I had in mind:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqckcz37ZyI

      As for Molson and Wolverhampton... good lord! Are they becoming the de facto place to brew in the UK? ;)

      And as for the mental note... feh! Keeps me on my toes checking you lot. :)

      Cheers!

      Delete
    3. So glad you’re getting back to normal Russ. Of course we all know its a 'new normal’ but hopefully next year something more resembling the old normal will return. :)
      know what you mean about Groundhog Day!

      No worries about not commenting - when there are much more important life and family matters to cope with. I also had a spell when I didn’t get much pub visiting done and my posts stopped for a time - so I didn’t do much for you to comment on.

      Glad you liked the clip - I typed this reply with Bing singing ‘Louise' in the background - very nice and I understand your original comment now!!

      I’d just like to say that all apostrophes are now being inserted by auto spellcheck so if they’re not right I abrogate all responsibility and blame Apple. :)

      Delete
    4. "I’d just like to say that all apostrophes are now being inserted by auto spellcheck so if they’re not right I abrogate all responsibility and blame Apple. :)"

      I almost spilled my mouthful of beer reading that! (LOL)

      Cheers

      Delete