Thursday 15 November 2018

Five Find a Lost Island - Pt 3 Anchor Away!


Phew - back at last - think I must have got lost on the lost island for a moment there - or suffered temporarily from writer's block.  I bet Enid Blyton didn't suffer from either problem...

...or maybe I'm just getting a bit distracted by Brexit.  Deal or no deal?  Where's Noel Edmonds when you need him...

Image result for Deal or No Deal
Hello...is that Jean-Claude...?
Anyway back to the story....So there we were looking for pub number 3...no that's not it....

Alternative medicine...

...nope, not that either....
V-Dub bar...
...and that looks as though it might have been previously, but not any more...
Possible past pub....

..ahh - here it is - The Anchor Inn...


It seems The Anchor Inn is an entrant in the 2019 Good Beer Guide.  Don't ask me how I know, as I don't own a copy of this celebrated tome....
GBG - Proudly displayed on the rear entrance...

....so if he ever finds the lost island Retired Martin should be visiting soon...

The Anchor Inn goes back a few centuries and was originally called The Three Trumpeters (don't ask me how I know that either) but certainly felt as nautical as its current name suggested, with antique wood and sailing ship pictures everywhere...

...and knots...and I thought that sheepshank was a joint of meat...so that was very educational...

Of course the serious business in a GBG 2019 pub is to savour the radical beers you've never heard of (as Retired Martin would say)...

Beers you never heard of....
Luckily one of the FOFs was on the ball and pointed the way to the islands own brew...

Follow the pointy finger....
The Goddards Fuggle Dee Dum turned out to be a fine pint (very good)..

Nice glasses...nice beer...

...and much nicer than Moose Liquor (though I suspect Russ may have a view on that...)


Could we keep up the pace...?
Would we find more island brewed beer...?
Would we get home before bedtime...?

Don't miss next weeks exciting episode (which might actually appear next week)...




10 comments:

  1. love the pointy finger !

    Intrigued by that ex-pub with weird corner, where is that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin - it's on Cowes High Street at the junction with Terminus Road...

      ...I had to look that up on google maps by the way - as I couldn't remember where I'd been on the lost island...!
      :)

      I did a bit of research and it turns out it still is a pub owned by pubco EI. Appears to be 'between ;andlords' as it's advertised on their 'run a pub page...

      https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/pier-view-hotel-cowes.aspx

      Delete
  2. "Phew - back at last - think I must have got lost on the lost island for a moment there - "

    I was thinking of emailing you! :)

    "..ahh - here it is - The Anchor Inn..."

    Finally!

    "(don't ask me how I know that either) "

    For someone who doesn't have a lot of 'reference material' you seem to know a lot. ;)

    "and I thought that sheepshank was a joint of meat"

    It is! But it's also a knot shortener and (most people don't know this) but the name for someone you trust in prison who stabs you with a homemade knife. :)

    "Beers you never heard of...."

    I'm on the other side of the pond and I've heard of the four on the left!

    "Follow the pointy finger...."

    Er... he seems to be pointing at the loo. ;)

    "..and much nicer than Moose Liquor (though I suspect Russ may have a view on that...)"

    Anyone who tries to lick a moose is a braver man than I Gunga Din!

    "Don't miss next weeks exciting episode (which might actually appear next week)..."

    LOL! I was going to say the exact same thing. :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Russ - I bow to your superior knowledge on all things sheep and moose...!


    "For someone who doesn't have a lot of 'reference material' you seem to know a lot. ;)"

    I just guess, or make it up, most of the time...:)


    "Pointing at the loo"... cripes - he could have been - glad I misunderstood and went for the Fuggle Dee Dum ;)

    Moose licking - the Canadians could make an extreme sport out of that - but would it be safer than climbing poles...
    https://www.canadianpolefederation.com/

    ...or wielding axes....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuYcDZSj4OI

    ...was the guy standing on that log trying to cut his toenails with that axe - didn't seem very accurate - darned dangerous really....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With regards to the Cdn Pole Federation... crikey! That's not the Canada I live in! :)

      As for the logging Championships; hey, even Monty Python knew we were the best lumberjacks around. ;)

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. "even Monty Python knew we were the best lumberjacks around. ;)"

      I've just thought - the bit of the song that goes...

      'I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars...'

      Could that have anything to do with the Cdn Pole Federation...?

      Delete
    3. "Could that have anything to do with the Cdn Pole Federation...?"

      LOL, good one! :)

      Delete
  4. Thought it was quite funny to find that - as I was expecting lumberjacks racing up pine tree poles....

    🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully expected to see lumberjacks racing up the poles as well. They actually have a yearly competition for that where I live.

      https://preview.tinyurl.com/y7fwffv8

      Cheers!

      Delete