Thursday 12 July 2018

It’s a Kind of Magic...

On entering this small street corner premises, you could be forgiven for thinking you’d just stepped out of Diagon Alley and entered Olivander’s Wand Shop...
IMG_0331


....makers of fine wands since 382 BC - with Mr Olivander scurrying up the shelf ladder for a vine wood and unicorn hair core wand....
It has an old curiosity shop atmosphere with ornate shelving up to the ceiling,  carved and fluted pillars, porticos and a travelling ladder mounted on a brass rail to access the upper shelves.  In this case however it is not wand boxes filling the shelves, it is another kind of magic...
....single malt whisky - the water of life.
IMG_0317
Old curiosity shop shelving...laden with whisky...

Having ventured in here earlier in the evening, before my visit to the Society Rooms, in the hope of food, I found that the Unicorn pies were in fact just a fantasy at 7:45pm, as food service stopped at 5pm...
IMG_0316
Unicorn pie board, columns, plaster friezes, bench seats, whisky paraphernalia  etc etc...

...inevitably, after my riveting Society Room visit, this was a place I had to come back to.
The Pot Still is a small pub/bar with columns and plaster friezes and whisky memorabilia everywhere.  There was a good crowd in, of all ages and as far as I could tell a few different nationalities.  The place buzzed with the sound of conversations and the bar staff were kept busy.  In short it was about as different to the Society Room on a Monday night, as a place could be.  When it comes to creating a great atmosphere - small is beautiful.
there was a good selection of Scottish cask ale on the four handpulls and I ordered a half of Inveralmond Ossian pale ale (good).  As there were no spare seats, I found a space to stand next to a column, which had a handy shelf to perch my beer on, and soaked up the atmosphere
IMG_0319
Ossian - not the stuff in the glass (that’s lager)

As I returned to the bar to get a couple of photos, a Glaswegian man and woman started talking to me.  I mentioned that I was impressed with the selection of single malts and he replied that he was drinking Scottish Leader blended whisky at £1.25 a dram - because it was cheap,  (in fact probably the cheapest whisky in the place by a fair margin).
Don't ask me how but he then got to telling me a story about his 'cigarette fight’ with two 'jakies' who demanded that he hand over his ciggies when he was having a smoke outside the Pot Still on some previous evening.  Instead of parting with his cigarettes he apparently told them where to go, and was thumped by one of them - so he then thumped the other one...
...a post-smoking ban smokers life can obviously be tough in Glasgow...
The time for another beer came, and before the Scottish Leader man had the chance to fight me for a whisky,  I excused myself, moved further down the bar and ordered a half of Knops Musselborough Broke, a 4.5% scotch ale (good)...
IMG_0320
Half of Knops Musselborough Broke...

From this new bar propping position I got talking to chap from Lytham St Annes, who was on his own, in Glasgow - for a holiday - in February - as you do.  I suppose the Blackpool season doesn't start till Easter.
He was trying a whisky or two guided by the expert barman, with me helpfully chipping in with “that’s a good one” and similar knowledgeable comments.  Apparently he’d never drunk whisky before - but at least he was in the right place to get his whisky drinking career off on the right foot...
We had a chat while he drank his whisky and then he left...just as the curly handlebar moustache man in Rupert Bear’s clothes came to the bar.
IMG_0321
Rupert Bear man with curly handle-bar moustache (just under his nose but out of view) ordering whisky, adds to surreal feeling of evening...
I couldn’t leave without partaking of a single malt and I asked the barman for a guided tour of the Ardbeg whiskies.  I was forgetting what he’d said almost straightaway as he shuffled bottles on the shelf and reeled off all the names - luckily he seemed to get bored after the first half a dozen...or realised I wasn’t taking anything he said in....
...predictably I decided on the last bottle he’s showed me, which was the only one I could remember..
Ardbeg An Oa (£5.80 for Scottish dram - 35ml) - peaty smoke bomb - (very good)...
IMG_0330
Ardbeg smoke bomb...

I loved this place and it seems so do many others....
..and so with a last longing look at the legions of whisky bottles on the shelves - I made myself go back to the Novotel and bed....
......past this painting in an nearby art shop window - which seemed to sum up my evenings enjoyment at the Pot Still, and in fact, all that is good about a social drink in any good pub...
IMG_0332
Laughter and flat caps - obviously the dog’s heard the joke before...


No comments:

Post a Comment